Monday, 5 May 2008

Chunky cotton baby blankie

I made this as an experiment, and its so simple even beginners could do it easily. I used Sirdar Spree yarn, which is a chunky cotton blend. I t makes a gorgeously soft blanket, very hardwearing and easy wash. (Approx 400g chunky cotton blend yarn)

Using 4.5 mm needles
CO 5 stitches.
Row 1 : Knit
Row 2: Knit 3, yo, knit to end.
Repeat 2nd row until you have 150 stitiches on needle
Decrease Row Knit 2, k2tog, yo, k2tog, k to end.
Repeat until there are 7 stitches on needle.
Last Row Knit 2, k2tog, k2tog, k to end.
Cast Off off remaining 5 stitches.

I used 100g balls and used four. Rather than knotting then ends to join them a smoother finish can be acheived by twisting the two strands together and knitting it double, you get a slightly thicker patch but it looks neater than knotting!!

Happy Knitting :D


shirley said...

hi could you tell me wot YO means thanks

Em's way said...

Hi Shirley YO means Yarn over, literally form a new stitch by putting the yarn over the needle before knitting the next stitch

Alexisnicksudik said...

I love this pattern...super simple and super cute....I knit a little quicker than most, so I got a little over halfway done today so far (and it's only 3pm!!!!) and may be able to finish it tonight if my son leaves my yarn alone! I used a 1lb ball and I havent had to do any add one or anything, so I would suggest that for this project instead of smaller skeins of yarn, if you can get a 1lb ball of the yarn you want to use! Thanks again for the great pattern!!!!!!

Em's way said...

Thank you for your comments, glad you like the pattern xx

lee woo said...

Every successful individual knows that his or her achievement depends on a community of persons working together.


Cindy Dy said...

I am very happy to locate your website. I just wanted to thank you for the time you spent on this great article. I definitely enjoyed reading it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.